Track & Field
Welcome to CHAP Track & Field! We are glad that you have decided to run with us. The following are policies and guidelines that will enable our program to run more smoothly. Please read this list carefully. With a growing number of homeschool families becoming involved in this program, we want you to understand the need for everyone to know our policies and procedures so that things can “run smoothly”.
** Practices start at 4:00pm on Monday, March 13, 2017 at the Holt Middle School Track.**
- Open Track Team registration will happen once a year, each March until April 1st for the Spring season.
- CHAP Track & Field teams will be coached by volunteer CHAP dads and/or moms.
- Teams can accommodate an unlimited number of runners, and there will be no “cuts”. Kids can come to practice for the first week to try it out without committing. However, #kids will not formally be considered part of the Team or allowed to race until their registration form is received with payment for a least 50% of the team registration fee.#
- Cost for the season is as follows:
- $125 per Sr. High runner, and $100 per Jr. High runner, or a maximum charge of $250 per family for 3 or more runners of any age. You may split your payment of this fee as needed, half of the fee being due with your registration and the remaining balance being due by May 1st midway through the season. These fees will cover the cost of entry fees for the meets we run in, liability insurance (thru CHAP), a few basic coaching/running supplies, and a year-end awards banquet for all team members and their families. This fee does not include the cost of team uniforms.
- CHAP Track & Field teams will run in a variety of Invitational meets throughout the mid-Michigan area, but at this time will not be participating in any specific league.
- Team uniforms will be purchased separately by each runner/family, and can be kept by runners from year to year, passed down to siblings, or sold used to new incoming team members. Uniforms will include a racing singlet (shirt), running shorts, a team t-shirt, and a warm-up suit. We will try to purchase these items at the best cost we can arrange and organize one annual fundraising event to help families with the cost of purchasing uniforms.
- Team members are required to wear running shoes for all practices and meets. Appropriate footwear is vital to healthy, injury free running, and must be purchased/provided by each individual family. Running spikes are optional for meets, and can also be purchased as desired at Playmakers in Okemos.
- Parents will be responsible for transporting their children to and from all team practices and meets. Please make every effort to be on time for these events, so as not to hold up the entire team! Carpooling is permissible at your own risk, and CHAP or the Team Coaches shall not be held liable for any accident that may occur while en route to or from a team event.
- All coaches, runners, parents and spectators must demonstrate good sportsmanship in conduct and in speech at all times. We aim to honor God in how we represent ourselves.
- We will typically practice every day M-F, from 4-6pm at the Holt Middle School Track on Aurelius Rd. Team members must make a good faith effort to be present at 3 practices/wk. minimum, but training every day will produce better fitness and better results.
If you have any question or concerns, please contact Coach Kevin Shoemaker at email@example.com or (517) 214-9049.
- Insurance Waiver & Indemnification - Required for ALL participants
- Concussion Waiver
- MHSAA Physical Form
- Sr. High Girls Online Registration
- Sr. High Boys Online Registration
- Jr. High Girls Online Registration
- Jr. High Boys Online Registration
- Printable Registration
- Jr. High Team page at Athletic.net
- High School Team page at Athletic.net
Track & Field Season is Starting
Looks like the warm weather has arrived just in time for us! This is your official reminder/encouragement to join us NEXT WEEK MONDAY for the official kickoff of our 2016 CHAP Track & Field Season!
Unlike the last 2 years, due to the warmer weather we will not be meeting to practice at the Westside YMCA this season. Instead, we'll start practices next Monday, at 4pm, at the Holt Middle School Track. As always, we practice every day from 4-6pm, but the minimum expectation for team participation is 3 practices/week. If you have a standing conflict with practice on any particular day, please email once (not every week) to let me know. Otherwise, practice conflicts/absences should be handled when they arise, but advance notice is always helpful to the coaches whenever possible (and especially with meets!). Please dress appropriately and plan for a few chilly days! Old man winter is not quite dead yet... just mostly dead.
I'm quite sure my email list is not exhaustive and complete, so feel free to pass this along to anyone else who may be interested in joining us and is not presently on the mailing list. If kids want to try this out before they decide, team registrations should be completed by the end of March. So the first few weeks could serve as a trial period for those unsure about joining us. The returning Sr. High Team Members will have only one indoor meet this season, at MSU on Wed. March 30th! The rest of our Jr. and Sr. High Meet schedule does not really kick in until late April (after HPA!)
For registration, you can go to the website www.chapchariots.org any time before the end of March. Payments can be made online, or checks will be collected at practices by Wendi Kribs, who will be helping us with team finances and uniforms.
Unfortunately, 6th graders are not allowed to compete in most of our meets, though that will be changing next year. A rules change will take effect in the 2016-17 school year allowing 6th graders to race with 7th-8th graders in both Cross Country and Track. So for this season, if there are 5th-6th grade students who want to work out with the team and get a preview of what Track & Field is all about, we welcome them to join us.
I've missed all of you over the long winter... though it's been great seeing many of you at our Winter Running Club workouts! Great work by all who stayed in shape over the winter... that will make the first few weeks of practice a lot less painful for you!!
Hoping to see you next Monday!
Coach Shoe CHAP Track & Field
Spring 2014 Season
To all Potential CHAP Track & Field Team members & parents:
As hard as it is to believe with 18 inches of snow still on the ground, the time has come to get moving again! And we have a plan to overcome the weather's threat to our early season workouts.
Most of you know, though some may not, that according to MHSAA rules our Track and Field team practices may begin as early as next Monday, March 10th. With the ongoing cold weather this poses quite a dilemma. I've even thought about postponing the start of our practices, since our normal outdoor practice facility is still covered with snow. However, we're scheduled to compete in our first Sr. High Meet (indoors) at Hillsdale College on Weds. March 26th. So instead of waiting to get started, we've come up with an affordable plan to do much of our workout regimen indoors for the next 1-2 weeks, until the snow melts and we can get back on the outdoor track.
What's the solution? We've worked out a deal with the Westside YMCA, where we've had our strength and conditioning clinic the last six weeks, to use their indoor roller skating rink from 4:00 - 5:15pm. So this means that our team practices will begin as originally scheduled next Monday, March 10th at 4:00pm. We will gather at 4 o'clock just outside the skating rink (just to the left inside the main doors), and go through some preliminary announcements, then begin our workout promptly at 4:15pm. We have the rink until 5:15pm, at which time we will do some running outdoors in the neighborhood and cemetery just down the street from the YMCA. Practices will be finished by no later than 6:00pm, but sometimes earlier. Here is the location of the Westside YMCA if you're not sure how to get there: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Westside+Community+Ymcafirstname.lastname@example.org,-84.5990228,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8822c00cc98d9e37:0xdb1725bae978e973
This means you should come prepared for both an indoor and outdoor workout. Bring along whatever gear you need to stay warm when we head outside, as temps are projected in the 20's-30's for the next week. This will be our routine for at least the first week of practice, and likely the 2nd week too. The YMCA has graciously given us the opportunity to commit from week to week based on the weather. As soon as things warm up a bit and the snow melts, we will resume our normal practice routine, meeting at the Holt Middle School Track facility on Aurelius Rd. Here is the location of that facility: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Holt+Junior+High+Schoolemail@example.com,-84.522373,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x8822c723376120cb:0x33e7a79ea5c58fd1
I've attached to this email a document that contains all of our team policies, and our registration form. Please read this information carefully. If you're not sure about joining the team, but interested, you are welcome to come and try it out for the first few weeks. We only need a commitment by the end of March, or 1 week before that for any senior high runners who want to compete at the Hillsdale meet. So if you're interested but unsure, please come and give it a try! I also encourage you to spread the word to your home schooled friends and invite them to join us too. In fact, feel free to forward this email on to anyone who may not have received it. Please bear in mind that while we do practice every day (to be more competitive with local schools), I'm looking for a commitment to attend at least 3 practices/week. As the attached documents indicate, when you register for the team you should expect to pay at least half of the team fee. There is also an additional charge for uniforms, and the earlier I receive your registration the earlier I can place an order. I will go over all these details about uniforms at our practices next week.
Finally, one last thing about the Hillsdale meet (Sr. High only): Please not that on that same date (March 26th) there is an HPA Titanic rehearsal scheduled from 9am - 5pm. If you are in HPA and you would like to compete in Hillsdale, this means you will need to request an early dismissal from Mrs. Duffy. Field Events start at 3pm and Running Events start at 4pm, but it takes over an hour to get there, so I suggest you request a dismissal no later than 2pm. If you don't ask for this, or it is not granted because you ask too late, you can still run in the meet - but I can only enter you in events which start later in the afternoon/evening. Please plan accordingly! The sooner you ask for an early dismissal the better your chances to get one. Here is a link with the meet schedule: http://www.hillsdalechargers.com/sports/wtrack/2013-14/files/Charger_Preview_-_Order_of_Events.pdf
That's enough information for now. Please email me with any questions. I look forward to seeing all of you next week Monday, or as soon as you can join us!
"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us!" Heb. 12:1
Coach Kevin Shoemaker CHAP Track & Field
PS. One last thing for your planning purposes: Our meet schedules are found on our Athletic.net website. This is also where all of our season results & stats will be posted. You can also check out all our results and personal performance records from last season too. I'm still firming up a few details, but here are the links: CHAP Sr. High Boys and Girls Teams: http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/School.aspx?SchoolID=42508 CHAP Jr. High Boys and Girls Teams: http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/School.aspx?SchoolID=42509
Strength & Conditioning
Home School Track Class is now up and available to register at YMCA. Please register online if you can. It starts Wed Jan 29th at 5:30 PM and goes for six weeks. Again cost for entire 6 weeks is $32. Go to www.ymcaoflansing.org - Click Register on Home Page, Program Session "Current", Branch - "Westside YMCA", Class ID - 95140, or search keyword - Homeschool.
Thanks, See you there.